Thursday, October 23, 2014

The MHA and the Center for Melungeon Research Part 1

An Introduction to a multipart series

I was browsing the the MHA (Melungeon Heritage Association) web site recently. I noticed a link to the article: “MECC Announces Donations, Creation of Center for Melungeon Research

"Big Stone Gap, VA -- Mountain Empire Community College is pleased to announce three major donations that will establish the college as a major center for the collection of Melungeon research materials. The Melungeon Heritage Association (MHA) announced plans to donate copies of all of the organization’s publications, videos and audios of presenters recorded during the last 17 years of Melungeon Union Gatherings, as well as all organizational paperwork collected since the organization’s formation. In addition, the college will receive the organization’s collection of memorabilia from past Melungeon Unions."




I noticed this photo, as far as I can tell not a one is of Melungeon descent, the gentleman in the center is Mike Gilley, MECC Director of Library Services. I'm not including him in my observation. (Isn't that Ichabod Crane to the left ?)

“Individuals who have research materials that document the history and culture of the Melungeons and other mixed ancestry groups can now share their work with others and preserve this legacy for the future.” 

I have some research materials I'd love to 'share'. I have lots of notes and observations on file about the MHA, both the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Stay tuned for the next part of this series: 'Turks, the MHA, and the 'Cover Up'. The photo below is a sneak preview..........



           
Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. – Romans 12:14



That's my 2 cents....
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment