Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Melungeon Gift

I love this uplifting story. Much different than the derogatory stories and newspaper articles about the mixed blood families of Southern Appalachia that some folks like to post on the World Wide Web.

This story was written by story teller Patsy Lawson. Ms. Lawson has her own blog 'Stories from Appalachia'.

"We called him Lidgie which is short for Elijah. Everyone knew that Lidgie was a Melungeon from off Newmans Ridge because his last name was Collins and he had many of the Melungeon physical features including coal black hair, blue eyes and olive skin. Lidgie came into my life when my Uncle Rector hired him to help with farm work; later my father hired him to help on our farm as well.  Lidgie and wife Liddie were always a part of my growing up years."
Read more here....... 

You can also download Ms. Lawson reading a longer version (11:43) of this story (MP3 file)  on Amazon.com

I hope you enjoy this story as much as I do.

No comments :

Post a Comment