Sunday, November 15, 2015

Sunday Morning Mountain Gospel Music 63

I Dreamed of a Hillbilly Heaven
Written by Hal Southern and Eddie Dean, sung by Anita Carter with Chet Atkins on electric guitar and Mother Maybelle, Helen Carter and Rebecca Bowman singing vocal chorus




I Dreamed of a Hillbilly Heaven

I dreamed I was there in hillbilly heaven
Oh, what a beautiful sight
I met all the stars in hillbilly heaven
Oh, what a star-studded night

Last night I dreamed I went up to hillbilly heaven and do you know who the doorman was?
It was the old Blue Yodeler, Jimmie Rodgers.
So I asked him to kind of show me around a bit and he was right pleased to.
He said, “Nita, I want you to meet a man who’s songs everybody knows" and do you know who it was?  Mr. Country music himself, Fred Rose.


I dreamed I was there in hillbilly heaven
Oh, what a beautiful sight

Well, Jimmy took me around some more and sang some of his old songs for me.
I saw the gold guitars and fiddles hanging there in the hall of fame.
And then he said, “Nita, I want you to meet a boy who was loved by many many millions.”
And sure enough it was our old friend, Mr. Hank Williams.

I met all the stars in hillbilly heaven
Oh, what a star-studded night

Well, then I asked him who else he had booked within the next 100 years.
And he showed me the longest list of names I ever saw, so I started to read.
Ernest Tubb
Hank Snow
Roy Acuff
Marty Robbins
Chet Atkins
Eddie Arnold
Kitty Wells
Bob Wills
Anita Carter…Anita Carter ?
Well, that’s when I woke up and I’m sorry that I did.


Cause I dreamed I was there in hillbilly heaven
Oh, what a beautiful sight


No comments :

Post a Comment